Happy 2024 CharterNation! CCSA is the voice of the charter public school movement in California. For 20 years, we have helped charters flourish and we are proud that nearly 700,000 students (12% of all California’s public school enrollment) now attend charter public schools.
As we gear up for another dynamic year, let's celebrate all the positive charter news and research that was published in 2023, helping increase charter school favorability and public awareness in California. Here's our breakdown:
- Stanford University publishes research which finds CA charters have evolved and their students show greater academic gains than those in district-run public schools.
- CCSA’s research team shines a light on charter teachers with the report The Face of California's Charter Public School Teachers which finds these educators are diverse in a wide variety of ways.
- CCSA awards its 2023 Bragato Scholarship to 10 charter school graduates who have overcome adversity and are pursuing their college dreams.
- CCSA’s CharterNation Podcast Season 2 releases two exclusive interviews featuring former CA Governor Jerry Brown (S2 Ep5) and current CA Secretary of State Shirley Weber (S2 Ep4). CCSA's President CEO Myrna Castrejón interviews both leaders about their thoughts on public education today.
- CCSA releases its annual survey showing 57% of CA voters support charter public schools, an all-time high for the Golden State!
- U.S. News and World Report gives top honors to 3 charter public high schools in California.
- CCSA releases Homeless Youth in California Charter Public Schools, a research brief which highlights five charters that go the extra mile to support vulnerable students.
- The CharterNation Blog publishes Advocacy in Action, a series highlighting individuals on CCSA's NorCal, Greater Los Angeles, and SoCal Local Advocacy Teams who fight to expand and protect charters across the state.
- CCSA publishes English Learners in California Charter Public Schools, a research brief highlighting two charters that go above and beyond to support EL students.
- Episode 9 of CCSA’s CharterNation Podcast featuring Brian Bauer, CEO and Superintendent of Granada Hills Charter, tops the charts as the most downloaded episode of 2023.
- CCSA President and CEO Myrna Castrejón publishes an important commentary on Medium about public polling data that finds CA voters have a growing concern about the direction of our state’s public education system.
- The CA Department of Education recognizes 48 charter public schools as 2023 CA Distinguished Schools.
- CCSA President and CEO Myrna Castrejón publishes a commentary on Medium about the need to invest our time and efforts in increasing the recruitment and retention of teachers of color.
Of course there was so much more positive news and charter school research in 2023 than listed here. For more stories and reports, head over to CCSA's CharterNation Podcast, CharterNation Blog, CCSA Research & Data, and Medium.